Visit Us

Rowe Woods

Site Features

Rowe Visitor Center

The Rowe Visitor Center is open seven days a week from 9 am-5 pm. It houses restrooms, our front desk, membership, The Nature Shop, the Whittaker Library, nature observation windows, and more. Free wi-fi access is available at the Visitor Center. 

Masks or face coverings must be worn while inside of the Visitor Center and in The Nature Shop.

Please note that the Visitor Center is closed Thanksgiving day, Christmas day, and New Year’s Day.

Front Desk Naturalists

Visit our Front Desk Naturalists to ask questions about your trail discoveries or get more information about upcoming programs and events.

 

Membership Desk

Visit our Membership Desk between 10 am-5 pm to learn more about membership, apply your daily admission toward membership, and more.

 

The Nature Shop

Open from 10 am–5 pm daily, The Nature Shop features a variety of items, including hand-glazed ceramics, bird feeders, mason bee houses, books, apparel, jewelry, toys, and more for purchase. Many of our items are locally made and support artists and small businesses in our community. All proceeds from The Nature Shop go to support our mission of Inspiring Conservation. You can also browse our shop online by clicking here.

The Nature Shop is closed Thanksgiving day, Christmas day, and New Year's Day.

 

William J. Whittaker Library

Come relax by the fireplace or drop in to work part of the day from one of our tall tables. Members can check out books, DVDs, and other resources on natural history, science, and nature-related literature. 

Click here for library material checkout procedures.

 

Wildlife Viewing Windows

Discover nature at one of our large wildlife viewing areas. Binoculars and guidebooks are available for reference. 

 

Educational Exhibits and Children's Play Area

Our educational exhibits change seasonally and focus on the natural history, wildlife, and plants of our region. Our Children's Play Area has interactive touch displays, props, and more to encourage discovery and exploration. 

 

Powel Crosley Lake

Powel Crosley Lake

Crosley Lake, named for donor Powel Crosley, was excavated in 1967 following an Audubon recommendation to create more surface water on the property to attract wildlife.

The island in the lake is named Wallace Island in memory of Wallace Espy, nephew of Grace Groesbeck.

A view of Oak Allee in the Fall

Oak Allée

Oaks planted in the early 1920s lined the drive from Tealtown Road to the Krippendorf home, built between 1898 and 1900, for newlyweds Carl and Mary Krippendorf.

The Oak Allée is still maintained today and can be seen on the left as you are entering Rowe Woods

An exterior view of Krippendorf Lodge

Krippendorf Lodge

Krippendorf Lodge was built between 1898 and 1900 as the home of Carl and Mary Krippendorf. Today it is used for special events and private rentals. Daffodils were Carl Krippendorf's favorite flower, and he planted millions on the property during his lifetime. 

Exterior view of Groesbeck Lodge and Garden

Groesbeck Lodge

This stone lodge was built around 1918 by Grace and Glendening Groesbeck, friends of the Krippendorfs. The graduated sizes of the slate pieces on the roof make the building both beautiful and unique. The Groesbecks asked Gertrude Jekyll, famous British landscape designer, to prepare a garden plan for the site. Although the specific plan was not implemented, design had elements of the original plan. Remaining features include pillars of the Rose Garden and a greenhouse and garden shed.

Exterior view of Abner Hollow Pioneer Cabin

Abner Hollow Pioneer Cabin

Abner Hollow Pioneer Cabin was originally built by pioneer settlers in Adams County, OH in the early 1800s. The owners of the property where the cabin stood are long-time members and benefactors of CNC. They donated the cabin as a centerpiece for education about pioneer life. The cabin was dismantled for transport and reassembled on this site in 1997. 

A view of the Herb Wall

Herb Wall

The Herb Wall was said to have contained the greatest variety of plants in the Midwest during the Krippendorf period. Three-tiered beds below the wall were built to display tulips, roses, and others. Cold frames below the Herb Wall were built in 1938—canvas covers ran on metal tracks to protect these plants from cold temperatures.

An outdoor trail through the Celebration Garden

Celebration Garden

During Carl Krippendorf’s time, the area where the current Celebration Garden lies consisted of arbors, small stone terraces with benches, and walkways lined with masses of flowering plants. Today, the Celebration Garden celebrates this horticultural tradition and creates a peaceful place for memorials. For more information, visit our Celebration Garden page.