Trail Rules & Conservation Ethics
Our Trail Rules adhere to and promote healthy conservation ethics. They are based on a respect for nature and other visitors, and are supported by scientific research. Our efforts to preserve the ecology of this unique place are for you and for the next generation. Enjoy your time outdoors responsibly and with minimum impact.
To protect our land
- Remain on designated trails to protect woodland habitat and prevent erosion to vulnerable hillsides. Off-trail activity is prohibited.
- Trails are reserved for foot traffic only.
- Walk in groups of 12 or fewer. Run in groups of six or fewer.
- Do not litter. Pack it in, pack it out.
- Picnic in designated picnic areas only.
- Tree-climbing is not allowed. Trees are habitat for mammals, insects and birds.
- Flower-picking is not allowed. Flowers should remain for everyone’s enjoyment!
- Specimen, rock or fossil collecting is not allowed. Observe the treasures around you.
- Hunting is not allowed.
To protect our water
- Remain on boardwalks and stepping stones to protect aquatic habitat and prevent erosion to pond edges and stream banks.
- Wading and fishing are not allowed.
- Stream exploration on trail path only.
- Pond exploration is allowed only at Matt’s Pond with a Nature Center dipping net and pond pack available at the Rowe Visitor Center.
- Feeding waterfowl and other wildlife is prohibited. Fish and turtle feeding is allowed only at Powel Crosley Lake from April 1-October 31. Do not feed bread. Feed only pellets available for sale (seasonally) at The Nature Shop.
To protect your experience
- Children 14 and younger must be accompanied by an adult.
- Weapons, including concealed firearms, are prohibited on our premises.
- Smoking, including e-cigarettes and all other smoking devices, is prohibited. Welcome to a smoke-free environment!
- Because hammocking can be harmful to trees, it is only permitted on the Hammock Hangout posts found on Harmony Ridge. Hammocks are available for check-out at the Rowe Visitor Center. Enjoy!
Cincinnati Nature Center reserves the right to apply penalties or revoke a membership if a person does not follow the rules we have put in place. In such a case, no refund will be issued.