Things to Do
Hike for Your HealthBack to Things to Do
Hike for Your Health Challenge
Join the fun and get healthy at Cincinnati Nature Center while discovering all of the benefits of hiking.
Pick up a Hike for Your Health passport at Rowe Visitor Center for $4 and start hiking!
After completing each trail, come back to the Visitor's Center to get an official boot stamp on your passport to earn fun incentive prizes along the way.
Then, after hiking all 17 trails at Rowe Woods and Long Branch Farm & Trails, bring your passport back to the Rowe Visitor Center to receive a Trailblazer prize.
Hiking is healthy!
Regular hiking leads to:
- Weight control—hiking burns up 370 calories an hour (for a 154-lb person)
- Improved cardio-respiratory fitness
- Improved muscular fitness
- Lower risk of heart disease and stroke
- Lower risk of high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes
- Lower risk of high cholesterol and triglycerides
- Better bone health
- Better quality sleep
- Reduced risk of stress and depression
- Increased attention span and short-term memory
In addition, studies show that exposing yourself to fresh air, plants, sunshine, and dirt can lift your mood, elicit inner peace, and connect you with life on a fundamental level. Hiking with family and/or friends, allows for uninterrupted personal time together and that is of great value to many people in today’s busy world.