Visit Us

Oak Allée

Oaks planted in the early 1920s lined the drive from Tealtown Road to the Krippendorf home, built between 1898 and 1900, for newlyweds Carl and Mary Krippendorf.

The Oak Allée is still maintained today and can be seen on the left as you are entering Rowe Woods

Krippendorf Lodge

Krippendorf Lodge was built between 1898 and 1900 as the home of Carl and Mary Krippendorf. Today it is used for special events and private rentals. Daffodils were Carl Krippendorf's favorite flower, and he planted millions on the property during his lifetime. 

Herb Wall

The Herb Wall was said to have contained the greatest variety of plants in the Midwest during the Krippendorf period. Three-tiered beds below the wall were built to display tulips, roses and others. Cold frames below the Herb Wall were built in 1938—canvas covers ran on metal tracks to protect these plants from cold temperatures.

Celebration Garden

During Carl Krippendorf’s time, the area where the current Celebration Garden lies consisted of arbors, small stone terraces with benches and walkways lined with masses of flowering plants in a design typical of the Victorian Period. Today, the Celebration Garden celebrates this horticultural tradition. You have an opportunity to honor loved ones and remember special times while supporting CNC by making a gift to the Celebration Garden.

For more information, visit our Celebration Garden page. 

Powel Crosley Lake

Crosley Lake, named for donor Powel Crosley, was excavated in 1967 following an Audubon recommendation to create more surface water on the property to attract wildlife.

The island in the lake is named Wallace Island in memory of Wallace Espy, nephew of Grace Groesbeck.

Abner Hollow Pioneer Cabin

Abner Hollow Pioneer Cabin was originally built by pioneer settler in Adams County, OH in the early 1800s. The owners of the property where the cabin stood are long-time members and benefactors of CNC. They donated the cabin as a centerpiece for education about pioneer life. The cabin was dismantled for transport and reassembled on this site in 1997. 

Groesbeck Lodge and Garden, Future Home of the Center for Conservation & Stewardship

This stone lodge was built around 1918 by Grace and Glendening Groesbeck, friends of the Krippendorfs. The graduated sizes of the slate pieces on the roof make the building both beautiful and unique. The Groesbecks asked Gertrude Jekyll, famous British landscape designer, to prepare a garden plan for the site. Although the specific plan was not implemented, design had elements of the original plan. Remaining features include pillars of the Rose Garden and a greenhouse and garden shed.